History of Harriet Johnson
Harriet Johnson and her sister Emily Rachel were the daughters of Anna and
Thomas Johnson. Harriet was born about 1871 in Hampstead and taught at St Mary’s School, Willesden, for 8 years while studying at home in the evenings and on Saturdays to gain her Certificate which she achieved in 1892.
In 1897 Harriet and Emily travelled to Sompting for their interview with the Revd. Williams. Harriet was appointed Headmistress at a salary of 4 3s 4d a month with the use of the School House and Emily who was to be in charge of the Infants received the same salary.
Harriet Johnson was a very successful teacher at the Sompting School and regularly received good reports from the School Inspector.
Following the 1903 Education Act a meeting of the West Sussex Education committee was held at Chichester when Miss Johnson of Sompting was one of the twelve teachers engaged in Elementary Schools who were elected to serve on the Advisory Committee.
The local press reported regularly on the progress of the school and in 1906 Sompting School appeared in the National press.
At the time of her marriage to George Weller, who already was in business and renting a property in Cokeham Lane, Harriet retired from school life and moved to Wenham Cottages. However, she took the opportunity to write a book called “The Dramatic method of Teaching”. which was published in 1912.
George Weller died in 1952 followed by Harriet in 1956 and they are recorded on a tombstone in the churchyard at Sompting along with George Wellers parents.