Amenities and Environment Committee 1st Wednesday of the month 7pm
Cllrs Glynn- Davies (Chair), Mear, Bashford, Smith, Nicklen, Baxter
Terms of Reference
All councillors of this Committee are required to attend the meetings in accordance with the agreed timetable. All councillors are required to have read the agenda, previous minutes and accompanying papers prior to the Committee meeting to allow an informed discussion at the meeting. The minutes of the previous meeting will be taken as read based on this assumption.
Main function : To make decisions on all Amenity and Environmental matters. To manage and make decisions on the upkeep, repair and cleaning of all Parish Council owned bus shelters and public seats and the public toilets on Sompting Recreation Ground. To manage and make decisions on the upkeep of the Community Garden and planters within Sompting. To consider all highway, footpath and traffic and transportation matters in Sompting. To promote conservation and environmental projects in Sompting, including working with other interested bodies and volunteers.
1. To be responsible for the preparation of an annual budget for this committee in accordance with the agreed timetable to include :
• an asset maintenance / replacement programme and expenditure
• any proposed Capital expenditure
for approval by Full Council.
2. With the agreement of Full Council, to lobby/liaise with West Sussex C.C, Adur and Worthing Councils and others on highway, footpath, street lighting, parking, traffic, transportation and flooding issues, including pursuing any complaints received by the council to establish satisfactory solutions for Sompting.
3. To promote highway, transportation, pedestrian and equestrian improvement schemes with the agreement of Full Council.
4. To consider the West Sussex C.C. highway maintenance programme and report to Full Council with proposed response for approval.
5. To consider issues relating to bus services for Sompting including any community bus provision schemes and report to Full Council with proposed response for approval.
6. To consider West Sussex CC’s Traffic Management Regulation schemes and report to Full Council with proposed response for approval.
7. To promote conservation and environmental improvement schemes including :
• the promotion of enhancements to shopping areas
• the promotion of best garden awards
• the consideration of Christmas decorations
• liaising with West Sussex CC on highway soft landscaping
• the promotion and production of events throughout the year and assisting with the Harriet Johnson Centre events within existing budget provision
• promote opportunities to become volunteers, working with the Council on conservation and environmental projects
• promote and undertake educational activities on conservation and environmental matters
8. To monitor the budget for this committee on a monthly basis and report to Finance and General Purposes committee of any potential overspends or
9. To ensure the cleaning and maintenance of the public toilets on Sompting Recreation Ground and all Parish owned bus shelters and public seats.
10. To ensure the maintenance and upkeep of the Community garden and planters across Sompting.
11. To ensure the maintenance of public noticeboards.
12. To support the work of the EPIC project and other conservation and environmental projects as agreed by Full Council.
13. The consideration of registration of and preservation of historical, unique buildings, structures, archaeology and land.
14. To consider the annual Winter Management Plan.
15. To work in partnership with other organisations with the approval of Full Council.